23 August 2013

Okay, Life's a fact. People Do Fall In Love. People Do Belong To Each Other.

No matter how in depth I write this I wont be able to begin to explain to anyone what is what like. My words are so inadequate for the moments and emotions and vast beauty. However, I will make an attempt because I have a most awful memory and if I dont do this quite soon no one may ever know, except for him.

Yesterday had been an average day. Work had been busy and the highlight had been a relatively decent workout including a call with a friend that had been away. I napped after work and decided to dress down as I was meeting Kristin to look at venues. You see Jeff and I had been talking about marriage. We knew we wanted to go for it. We had looked at rings and ultimately found a jeweller that would design one for me. But that decision had only been made days earlier and I knew it would be weeks. So I was nearly content starting arrangements and impatiently waiting for a proposal.

So there I was, driving around town with Kristin looking slightly more ghetto than my usual unmade self. We looked at a few places and talked about if he would ever pop the question. When we arrived at Ralph Klein Park I felt like it wasnt the vibe we wanted for such an event but the grounds were gorgeous so I was keen to wander. Kristin needed to call her husband whom she had been texting all evening so she sent me on my way.

I had noticed a message from my dear friend Zaina so pulled out my phone and was texting her about bubble baths as I wandered, obviously paying close attention to my surroundings.

Then I noticed Jeff on the walkway I was headed towards. I had asked him earlier in the day if he could meet up with Kristin and I because he had been super particular about venues when we talked the weekend before and I felt frustrated that I couldnt find one he liked. He had told me he had a typical work meeting but would try. So I yelled out "What are you doing here?" and felt quite pleased inside that he made it to the last stop of the night. I asked about his meeting as I walked closer and then noticed A TON of spiders on the railings. Due to my arachnophobia I walked in the exact middle of the walkway over the water in attempts to not die and made several comments about the creepy spiders. It wasnt until I turned the corner towards Jeff that I saw the rose petals and candles and then heard "I will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab. 

I was confused and I teared up. I knew but I had no idea. The next few minutes were beyond anything I could say or imagine. He hugged me and told me all the things any girl would give anything to hear. And next thing I knew he was down on one knee. I was crying as he asked and honestly was in complete shock. It all had just happened so perfect and the music was going and the scenery was amazing and there we were. I finally noticed the ring and he told me it was a temporary ring until mine was finished. In complete puzzlement and fear I asked if I had to give the ring back when mine came (as the one I now had on was gorgeous) he just laughed. I didnt. This ring is to become an heirloom he said, I commented that it meant we would have to have kids then. 

As we turned around I finally realized it was an acoustic guitarist playing Death Cab for me just up above on the deck overlooking our spot. And then I saw the photographer. Someone had just taken a zillion photos of me crying.. and looking ghetto...

So hand in hand we walked inside to meet up with Kristin as we had come to check the place out. Jeff said I could freshen up but it was just Kristina and I had nothing with me so I looked in a window and wiped away some mascara and walked in with tear filled eyes.

As we walked we talked about the potential of the building with the lights coming on as we went. Then I saw the room Kristin was in as she opened the door.. the tears poured. All of our families were there along with our grandparents and closest friends. Everyone knew. Even two of my closest friends knew. They all cheered and hugged us and I cried more and it was beyond a fairytale.(Note: I had talked to all of my family yesterday separately and been with both his sisters in the last two days and no one said a word!) 

The room was all done with antique flowers and teal table cloths, and non-alcoholic lovely drinks, and cupcakes and strawberry shortcake and the ceiling was covered in balloons. And on the string of each balloon was a reason why he loved me. It was literally everything I love all together. And it was romantic. I hope the pictures can describe this better. It was a room of me basically. Like someone created my feelings and put them into objects.

So we all talked and cried and smiled and everyone told us it was about time. It was a whirlwind and the romance and perfection of it was overwhelming. It was just us like I wanted but he had prepared for a complete celebration because he knew I would want to tell my family immediately. It was so well thought out and tailored to me and there was so much magic. The guitarist had learned Death Cab  just for us and he filled our evening with a variety of songs that just made me melt. There was food and photos and our families just meshed without my help at all and everything was perfect.

I was so nervous it wouldnt have the magic I imagined or that I would feel uncomfortable telling everyone because of the attention but the truth is, Jeff knows me better than I know myself most days and he knew how to make it the most perfect thing to ever happen. And really, I feel so blessed to be planning eternity with someone so perfect for me. 

So I guess I should add that I said yes. I am gonna be a wife. And I am probably gonna cry a lot then too because I didnt know real life could involve a love like this. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So glad you wrote this. Loved reading it! Congratulations! We really want to come - please invite us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried. This is so perfect and beautiful. AHHHHH!! I am so happy for you!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete