12 January 2011

An Introduction to Flooding

One day I moved to Australia and found that it was raining a lot. I learned to get used to it. I even got an umbrella for Christmas and was learning to embrace the light rains. Not some much the torrential rain, that still was a pain, but I was dealing with it. I didnt even feel concern when the water on my street would flood a little and I would have to walk through yards.

The first time I had to walk directly through water near my knees to get to the house I thought it was a little ridiculous, but I laughed. The next morning it was just above my knees, still not awful. After uni was cancelled that day the water was to my waist, this time it wasnt actually that funny. It was a little bit awful. But I went in and made dinner as I figured it was best to eat instead of thinking on an empty stomach.

The next 3 hours involved a friend from school swimming across to my house, then her and I taking everything I own and putting it as high as possible. I packed 2 backpacks and then started moving furniture from the basement up. When it was time to evacuate we had our swimsuits on and then we went waist deep in the water on the driveway before we could cut through 2 yards, a broken fence, a chicken coop, some sheds and then end up on the road behind us. I was out.

The next day my 3 new housemates who had rescued me as a refugee came to see my place. We could only get to the road behind which was now flooding. The water was to the balcony by this point. Due to their kind hearts they swam to my home, filled a suitcase with some clothes, as I had like 2 outfits and pajamas, and then taped garbage bags around the suitcase and brought it back.

The tide brought the water up this morning and will again today. I dont know if anything will be safe or if all of my stuff will be ruined. It sounds like my home is likely swallowed in water. But thats okay right? Well, it has to be okay. Nothing I can do. This is a natural disaster. One that I didnt ever think I would have to get close to. I dont think I really knew anything about the reality of flooding until now.

Its insane when the places you were just a few days ago are underwater. When the man-made beach in the city is not beach to the over flowing river. When your house is actually underwater. I didnt think that much water could ever be in one place, besides the ocean. I think the next 2 years here are going to be a lot different than I originally imagined.

Now its time to wait for the water to go down, then it will be time to clean up and rebuild. But for now, all we can do is pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment