19 December 2010

Let's Try Redefining Beautiful

I hate that beauty has been tainted by media. That people stereotype beauty and are often too closed minded to see beauty in a broader range. I want people to open their minds and their hearts to a new kind of beautiful. A kind of beauty that embodies everyone. No pressure, no unrealistic expectations of a skin and bone appearance while maintaining the facade that they are healthy. No. I want beauty to be embracing who we are.

I think its beautiful when people can open about their real self. Not the person that most people glance at on the bus or at the market. But the person deep down that recites random useless facts or has minor obsessions with childhood games. I think beauty is rarely found near the skin. Its so much deeper. And the more I think about it, the more I miss the beautiful people in my life that know all of those real things about me.

Maybe I want to feel like I am contributing to the world becoming a better place, or maybe I just think its unhealthy to feel the pressure to conform to the standards of "beauty" that media has given me. Regardless, I am going to try and forget the idealized definition of beautiful and I am going to redefine it for myself. I want to feel beautiful and for everyone else to feel that way too.

1 comment: