11 June 2010

Relationships are like Pokemon

It was about a whole decade ago that I had the greatest desire for a Gameboy. So I remember saving up and getting money for my birthday and when it rolled around my lovely Grandmother took me to buy a teal Gameboy Colour, and Pokemon blue. I was so pysched. I seriously loved playing Pokemon.

Then last year came and I found myself bored walking to and from school and between classes, so I began playing Pokemon as I walked. I will admit it, I was just as psyched to play as I had been years ago. I am super close to finishing the game actually, I just havent played in a few months. Perhaps after finals I will beat the League.

So heres the thing. I realized as I was writing a letter that relationships are just like Pokemon. While playing Pokemon you run into different Pokemon in so many places, the grass, buildings, caves, forests etc. And if you want to catch them you have to fight them, sometimes you overpower them, sometimes they get away, and sometimes you just dont want them. There are times you catch one and start training them and you find out they were not all you hoped for so you put them into storage and search for a different Pokemon. Then there are other times when you realize that they are your favourite and you train them so so so much and you love them.

It correlates so strongly in my mind. I find myself meeting people in so many different places, and you never know what will happen. There are times when I choose that its not someone I want to pursue and I walk away from it. Then there are times when I find myself so intrigued but the feelings are not mutual. And sometimes I think I have found what I am looking for and then I realize it wasnt what I expected or perhaps what I truly wanted, so I put it away and look for someone else. But sometimes you get lucky. You meet someone so special and it turns out that they feel the same way and they become a favourite, someone you grow to love and treasure.

So even though relationships are so ridiculously hard sometimes I at least find the ridiculousness to be understandable as I sit here and think of how I make sense of it all through Pokemon. Maybe video games are more beneficial than society gives them credit.

1 comment:

  1. So great! I thought this was such a funny analogy. Especially the part about "training" people you are in a relationship with. We don't want to admit it, but when we get close to another person aren't both of us training ourselves and the other person to work well with us. If the training doesn't suit one, then into storage! Haha.

    ReplyDelete